Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 00:49:09 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "The Anarcat" <anarcat@anarcat.dyndns.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ed0: device timeout when no interrupt

Yes - if the card is PnP

>Actually, if the card would reset itself to irq 3, I would have made it
>work, since I tried all freakin irqs from 3 to 15. :)
>
>> The card obviously is pure plug and
>> play and when Windows PnP manager loads it reprograms the IRQ to
>whatever is
>> open.
>
>Actually, this is something kinda weird. The card is not plug and play,
>from what I can tell. At least, windows doesn't detect is as PnP, and
>pnpinfo doesn't show up anything at all...
>
>Also, I had trouble configuring the card in windows too. I had to set it
>manually to some free irq around (using windows config tools) and reboot
>*2 times* in order to have it work at all. And whene I changed it,
>windows told me it had to *shutdown* (not reboot) for me to change the
>*jumpers* (which are nonexistent) of the card to follow the changes.
>
>Also, there's a "detected setting" in windows that tells me that only
>the *port* is detected setting. The irq seems to be "guessed".

Well, then may be it's not PnP.  But in that case the jumpers are
soft-programmed using a configuration utility.

>> Also, get that utility I was mentioning and run it under DOS and
>see what it says.
>
>Where?

Here:

http://www.windrivers.com/company/ne2000/index.htm

Run this on DOS and see if it detects the card.  If it does and your
REALLY lucky, you can even use this utility to program the settings of
the card.