Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 1998 20:56:43 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, dag-erli@ifi.uio.no
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, jdp@polstra.com, julian@whistle.com
Subject:   Re: Funky DEVFS stuff.

>> > Also, 'b' used to be magic (reserved for swap) in some Unix variants.
>> > Not for us, right?
>> It is conventionally reserved for swap in FreeBSD too.  It is a bit
>> more than conventionally reserved for kernel dumps in FreeBSD -
>> dumps are not permitted on devices whose minor is 1 modulo 8 (see
>> kern_shutdown.c:dumpsys() and autoconf.c:setdumpdev()).
>
>Except on DEVFS/SLICE systems, where this check is commented out since
>the minor numbers are not as predictable.

DEVFS/SLICE systems are just broken.  There are 2 checks (see above),
but only one is ifdefed out.

>By the way, how much work would it be to make using more than 8
>partitions per slice possible?

None.  Everything is possible in software :-), and in theory the
MAXPARTITIONS parameter can simply be increased up to about 22 as in
NetBSD.  You also have to change at least the size of openmask bitmap
variables in FreeBSD.  Our default of setting the number of partitions to
the max isn't so good if the max is large.  Sysinstall would probably
have problems displaying 22 partitions on a 25-line screen.  It would
be more work to support a flexibly sized array of partitions - several
places want `struct disklabel' to actually be a struct.

Bruce