Date:      Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:02:03 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Duo <duo@digitalarcadia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anthony's issues [Slightly OT]
References:  <423E116D.50805@usmstudent.com> <423EEE60.2050205@dial.pipex.com> <18510151385.20050321193911@wanadoo.fr> <eeef1a4c0503211224572d64e4@mail.gmail.com> <1975192207.20050322041925@wanadoo.fr> <eeef1a4c050322010021fd8eb4@mail.gmail.com> <1688160068.20050322102514@wanadoo.fr> <334ed8bd3d1e5ee9582b706d65919fb4@chrononomicon.com> <20050322133006.GB22896@pcwin002.win.tue.nl> <Pine.OSX.4.61.0503220838370.23402@valkyrie.local>

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 08:55:01AM -0600, Duo wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > Can we please STOP fueling Anthony's drivel?
>
> I have two words for you: Mail Filtering.
>
> Use it. It can work wonders on signal to noise ratio. He is not going to
> quit, ever.

Well, I'm of the opinion that adding replies that essentially boil
down to debating the same argument over and over again is not
particularly helpful.

> Honestly, the whole disk thing reminds me of an experience with FreeBSD
> and an old gateway solo laptop.

[snip long explanation that I totally agree with]

> The bottom line is, this guy will never go away.

I've tried to make it clear to him that this is all about DOING something
instead of arguing. When that did not work, I started filtering him.

> In the end, yes, he is annoying. But, you can take steps to avoid him, his
> posts, and the replies. Set up mail rules, procmail, whatever you need to
> do. And, while this may be a hassle, a good set of mail filtering
> templates is always a good idea, because Anthony is not the first flaming
> troll to ever be on this, or any mailing list, and he will not be the
> last. You would do well to accept this, start filtering replies, and bask
> in the new found signal to noise ratio.

I totally agree with you. I have Anthony blocked for a time now. I have
blocked others in the past.

But like I said above, sometimes it's better to just NOT reply for the
umpteenth time. He really believes in something; that's his right.
Unfortunately it is contrary to what most of the other posters believe
in; that's their right.

In all of this I have no part to play, nor do I wish to, except for
one thing: I do receive lots of mail from all of this. And I'm getting
quite tired at reading the same thing over and over.

> I have him blocked, but, not the replies. I think mostly, the list mages
> are handling him well, and, reading the fallout is far more entertaining.

I also see only the replies; sometimes it is amusing. There is however
a line where enough is enough.

In other words, please take this off-list. This is not about FreeBSD
questions anymore, it's about Anthony's personal hardware problem.  I
doubt it fits the charter.

> Although the Buddhists will tell you that desire is the root of
> suffering, my personal experience leads me to point the finger at system
> administration.
> 	--Philip Greenspun

heh...

Anyway, this'll be my last response to this list in a while; else I
wouldn't be taking my own advice.

And in addition to that, yes I will look at filtering whole threads
in the future. I'm a positive thinker however, so I always get sad
when I have to take such relatively drastic measures. Maybe people
can still come around.

Then again, maybe not in this case...

Thanks for the reply though.

--Stijn

--
Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already
know dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be