Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:03:57 +0300
From:      "Alex N. Markelov" <amarkelov@futures.msk.ru>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   internal modem settings (ThinkPad 760 ED)

Hello freebsd-mobile,

  I see under Win'98 IBM TP config utility that internal modem use
  following resources:

  I/O  0x3f8-0x3ff
       0x4e30-0x4e3f
  DMA  7
  IRQ  4,10

  So as I understand I/O 0x3f8-0x3ff and irq 4 is COM1. But
  0x4e30-0x4e3f and irq 10 are modem resources. When I'm trying to
  config sio0 and sio1 in my kernel config:

  device sio0 at isa? port 0x3f8 irq 4
  device sio1 at isa? port 0x2f8 irq 3

  I have following at start up:

  sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
  si01: at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
  sio1: type 16550A

  And when I'm trying to use /dev/cuaa0 as modem on COM1 I have error
  message from ppp: 'Failed to open /dev/cuaa0'
  That's obvious, because FreeBSD can't see sio0 at boot time. I want
  to use internal modem. Is it possible to use multiple ports and irqs
  definitions in kernel config? Something like this:

  device sio0 at isa? port 0x3f8, 0x4e30 irq 4,10 drq 7

  to describe my device precisely? Or here's some other way to make
  IBM internal modem work fine?

Best regards,
 Alex N. Markelov
System administrator.
Folium Ltd., Moscow, Russia.
PGP fingerprint: 5EE9 D9E2 7483 8A54 1C4F  3655 AD8F 9A9E 7589 C811

UNIX *IS* user friendly.  It's just selective about who its friends are. (Ó) unknown