Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2003 16:44:49 -0500
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com>
To:        Petri Helenius <pete@he.iki.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mbuf cache

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 11:34:11PM +0200, Petri Helenius wrote:

> I did some profiling on -CURRENT from a few days back, and I think I havenīt
> figured the new tunables out or the code is not doing what itīs supposed to
> or Iīm asking more than it is supposed to do but it seems that mb_free
> is being quite wasteful...
>
> Any pointers to how the new high/low watermark tunables should be used?
>
> Is it normal that after almost all traffic has been stopped there is still 8k+
> mbufs in "cache"?
>
> Pete

  Yes, it's normal.  The commit log clearly states that the new
  watermarks do nothing for now.  I have a patch that changes that but I
  haven't committed it yet because I left for vacation last Sunday and I
  only returned early this Monday.  Since then, I've been too busy to
  clean up and commit it.  In about a week or so you should notice a
  difference.

--
Bosko Milekic * bmilekic@unixdaemons.com * bmilekic@FreeBSD.org