Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 16:34:23 +0100
From:      Jaime Gil <jtorrico@jungle.bt.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pppd+tacacs

Hi all,

I have tested RADIUS authentication in ppp successfully. They have a patch which
deals with this kind of authentication protocol. It can be found in
http://www.freebsd.org /~brian/
It uses a default library in freebsd (libradius) which can be used to build your own
requests to a RADIUS server very easily. As for tacacs, no idea....

"Vladimir A. Jakovenko" wrote:

> Dmitry Samersoff <dms@wplus.net> wrote:

> >> I don't really know what tacacs does, but I've seen it referenced as a PAM
> >> module. pppd will (theoretically) work with PAM, although possibly not the
> >> version currently in the base tree.
>
> > Tacacs is authorisation server(protocol) with MD5 encription, well supported by
> > CISCO's and others hardware, another kind of such software is Radius.
>
> >  It's good idea to add better (native) support of remote authorization by ether
> > Tacacs or Radius or both protocol to FreeBSD.
>
> FreeBSD as for 3.x (3.0 or 3.1) contains PAM modules for Tacacs+ and Radius.
> And at least Tacacs+ PAM module support only authentication (and doesn't
> support authorization and accounting). Standart pppd from FreeBSD 3.x can
> be compiled to use PAM (-DUSE_PAM), but I havn't tested how it work.
>
> If someone interested to extend FreeBSD libtacplus and Tacacs+ PAM module to
> support authorization and acounting pls mail me.
>
> > ---
> > Dmitry Samersoff, dms@wplus.net, ICQ:3161705
> > http://devnull.wplus.net
> > * There will come soft rains ...