Date:      Fri, 20 Jan 2017 14:26:18 +0000
From:      SK <fbstable@cps-intl.org>
To:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, freebsd-xen@freebsd.org, freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 11 Stable on a Xen :: bridge0 crashing server

Dear List members

Apologies for cross posting to two other lists -- was not sure which one
is more appropriate for this, as it may be related to stable, xen or
virtualization.

Here is the situation:
I have a VPS server from a well reputed provider (and they deserve the
reputation), running FreeBSD 11 stable x64 under Xen Full Virtualization
(HVM). I have the xn0 interface which is working fine. I intend to use
VIMAGE, so I compiled the kernel, added cloned_interface="bridge0" and
restarted the server. But as soon as I am attaching the xn0 to bridge0,
the kernel is panicking and the server restarting.

The provider confirmed that they found similar behaviour on a freshly
installed/provisioned FreeBSD 11 x64 system.

Further to that, the provider ran some tests, and what they are telling
me is if they install/provision FreeBSD 10 x64, there is no problem with
attaching bridge0 to xn0. Then they updated/upgraded that box to FreeBSD
11 x64, and that too worked when they attached bridge0 to xn0. However,
they are yet to come back with my request to build a custom kernel with
options VIMAGE and try it out.

In the meanwhile, I took a crash dump and followed the FreeBSD handbook
(not that it gave me much idea, I'm not a programmer nor am at that
level of skillsets). The dump/debug is available at
http://pastebin.com/XuWvJHUZ for anyone who is interested.

Just wondering how to go about it. I do need to have bridge0 with xn0
and all the epairs I'm going to use for my jails.

Any suggestion/pointer/test-instruction is highly appreciated.

Best regards
SK