Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 2002 14:55:42 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU
Cc:        rittle@latour.rsch.comm.mot.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lack of real long double support

In message: <20021026205119.GA5889@HAL9000.homeunix.com>
            David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU> writes:
: Thus spake M. Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>:
: > : No.  You should assume that for i386, at least, that long double will
: > : have the right LDBL_ constants.  I've had them in my local tree for
: > : about 3 months now and just haven't found the time to commit to
: > : -current.  I'll find the time right now.
: >
: > I've committed the fix to the tree.  NetBSD uses these numbers, and
: > I've been using these numbers on a large number of systems that we
: > maintain at timing solutions (they were added to our local tree prior
: > to the 4.5 release, and we've built hundreds of ports since then w/o
: > any issues).  I've had them in my own personal p4 tree for 3 months
: > with similar results.
:
: I submitted patches for this back in May.  Could you please close
: i386/38288?  While you're at it, you should probably patch IA64 as
: well.  Other supported platforms should be okay, I think.  TIA.
:
: (Every time this happens, someone comes along a month later and
: tells me that _I'm_wrong_ about there ever being a bug.)

If I hadn't been using long doubles, day in and day our, for the past
two years, I'd likely have agreed with you.  However, I've had to look
into why weird things happen with long doubles a lot, and have found
in general they work pretty good.

I'll ask Peter Wemm about IA64.

Warner