Date:      Tue, 22 May 2007 14:34:02 -0400
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt@mac.com>
To:        Craig Boston <craig@tobuj.gank.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
Subject:   Re: GPT boot loader?

On May 22, 2007, at 9:42 AM, Craig Boston wrote:

> On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 09:57:34AM +0200, Ivan Voras wrote:
>> and that the fields in the GPT are supposed to be disk-absolute
>> (which
>> is not a problem on FreeBSD but may be on other systems).
>
> Grrr, this is one design "feature" of BSD disklabels that I was hoping
> might finally go away.  But it seems the GPT designers made the same
> mistake :(

GPT is not designed to be a sub-partitioning scheme. It can not be
used within a partition. As such, absolute block addresses are the
same as relative block addresses. As such, no mistake has been made
yet.
FreeBSD actually creates a GPT with relative addresses, which means
that if we allow it to be used to sub-partition partitions, it would
not have the same problem as the BSD label.

FYI,

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt@mac.com