Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 1999 18:00:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bin/12767: Expand /etc/ttys manpage

The following reply was made to PR bin/12767; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To: Peter Jeremy <jeremyp@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 02:53:10 +0200

 On Fri, 30 Jul 1999 10:39:53 +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:

 > 1) Within a single field (which comprises multiple words enclosed in
 >    double quotes), command arguments can contain multiple words by
 >    enclosing the argument in single quotes.

 This is a pretty standard UNIX thing, yeah.

 >    I don't read this as any reference to the way that words
 >    within a single quoted field are parsed before being passed to
 >    exec().

 You're right, the manpage doesn't explicitly spell out how the command
 is executed. Imagine, though, how annoying it would be if every manpage
 that uses a user-specified command for execution spelled out how the
 exec() family works.

 I'm happy with believing that "foo bar" means run program foo with
 argument bar.

 > 2) There's no command line expansion or substitution.
 >    Reasoned reflection would suggest that this is the behaviour, but
 >    explicitly documenting it can only improve clarity (IMHO).

 The documentation doesn't say that the command is passed to a shell, so
 the lack of expansion and substitution should be self-evident.

 >    This wording implies (to me, anyway), that the field _must_ refer
 >    to a terminal special file in /dev - this makes it unclear what to
 >    put here when the entry is starting a daemon that isn't related to
 >    a terminal at all.

 I wouldn't want to encourage people to launch daemons which aren't
 associated with a terminal from /etc/ttys -- I'd prefer them to launch
 their daemons from ${LOCABASE}/etc/rc.d, rc.local etc.

 > >Permission to close PR, or would you like a second opinion? :-)
 > If the above arguments don't sway you, I'd like a second opinion.

 Sure thing. You've dealt with me before, so you know I'm not one to piss
 on your ideas without giving someone else the opportunity to do the
 same. :-)

 I'll leave the PR open for independant review as I do with others where
 the originator disagrees with me. If someone else likes your idea, it
 won't be the first time that the originator was right and I was wrong.
 ;-)

 Later,
 Sheldon.