Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 07:35:36 -0400
From:      "Matthew A. Gessner" <mgessner@aristar.com>
To:        sln@public.jn.sd.cn
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Config mouse in XF86

Song Lining wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I 've installed the FreeBSD days ago and it runs well except the
> configuration of XF86. I met difficulties in configuring my mouse. I've
> tried to link /dev/mouse to /dev/mse0 and /dev/psm0, when I using
> command "startx" , the system told me that my mouse devices /dev/mse0 or
> /dev/psm0 have not been configured. The message is: "/dev/psm0: device
> not configured". But I have built the devices using MAKEDEV. Who can
> help me?
>
> PS: I'm using a Compaq Presario CDS 724 (intel 486)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Song Lining

Been there; done that; here's what to do (thanks first to all the folks
who told ME what to do!):

You need to reconfigure your kernel, so that the device psm0 is
available.  To do this, you need to have the kernel sources.

In the directory /sys/i386/conf you should find a file called GENERIC.
(If you've already configured your kernel for something else, use that
config file.)  Say you call the new config file MYKERNEL.

Uncomment or add the line that says:
device psm0 at isa? port "IO_KBD" conflicts tty irq 12 vector psmintr

Then run the following commands (taken right out of the handbook!):

# /usr/sbin/config MYKERNEL
# cd ../../compile/MYKERNEL
# make
# make install