Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 2002 16:15:36 -0400
From:      Mike Fratto <mfratto@nwc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Compiling 4.5 kernel locks system tight.

Ok, never used FreeBSD before so while I work on this, I thought I would
ask the following:

I want to work with IPSec on FreeBSD.

I just downloaded and installed 4.5 (disk 1). Went to the Handbook and
started reading how to use IPSec. I install the kernel source and add the
compile options IPSEC, IPSEC_ESP, IPSEC_DEBUG, and device gif 4.

Run /use/sbin/config OK.
Run make depend OK
Run make. Starts to compile eventually the system hangs. No keyboard input,
no disk activity, nothing. Let it run 12 hours, no change.

Hard reset.

Take GENERIC config, run config, make clean, make depend, make (in the
proper directories) and compiles for a bit then the system hangs.

Edit /usr/src/sys/i386/conf (?) to remove devices/options that I am not
using. Recompile using steps above. Hang.

I don't see anything alarming in /var/log/messages. Just boot messages. I
don't find any core dumps. It's a mystery.

Any ideas?

My system:
Intel 8510 motherboard with PII 533, 256 MB ram, Quantum Fireball 9 GB IDE.
No SCSI.

Mike