Date:      Fri, 1 Aug 2008 16:06:05 +0200
From:      Christian Hiris <4711@chello.at>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: secure access to AS/400 ? (OT)

On Friday 01 August 2008, B. Cook wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Seems OT, but I have been asked to give someone remote access to an AS/
> 400 we have here.
>
> As I am not knowledgeable about AS/400's I do not know if there is an
> openssh/sshd app that could be put on there.  They give everyone
> access 'locally' via telnet and some IBM gui app at the moment; the
> software:
>
> eNetwork Personal Communications AS/400
> Client Access Express for Windows
> Workstation Program
> Version 4.3
>
> If they can not find some form of sshd to put on the AS/400, I could
> give people access to a FreeBSD via ssh and then have them use
> 'something' to connect to it.
>
> Is there some terminal emulator that I would have to give them?
>
> I don't know how the AS works or what people use on it or use it for..
> so please excuse the seemingly ignorant questions..
>
> Thanks in advance

It's possible to set up a sshd on an AS/400 (aka "iSeries" aka "system i").
AFAIK you need to run OS Version V5R3M or higher on AS/400 and install
the "PASE tools" lic-program. For more information see the links below:

http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/enable/site/porting/tools/openssh.html
http://wiki.midrange.com/index.php/SSH

Depending on the version of the Client Access Emulator, it's allso possible
to setup TN5250 via SSL, but you need to configure SSL on the AS/400 to make
this happen.

There are at least two 5250 terminal emulatiors in the ports tree.
(/usr/ports/net/tn5250 and tn5250j).

Cheers
ch

--