Date:      Wed, 09 Mar 2005 22:25:29 -0800
From:      John Pettitt <jpp@cloudview.com>
To:        Bhaban Singh <bhaban@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Regarding Network Performance

Bhaban Singh wrote:

>I test the network performance in two system using iperf and netperf i
>Gigabit LAN.
>my system configuration is
>
>node A : Intel Xeon Dual Processor (2.8 GHz) with 2 GB RAM
>node B : Intel Pentium III Dual Processor (1.2 GHz) with 1 GB RAM
>
>i get only
>
>552 Mbps (before implementing IPsec)
>45.5 Mbps (after implementing IPSEC)
>
>why the throughput is so low. please suggest me.
>
>regards
>bhaban

There could be a lot of reasons but I'd start with node B - what bus
does it have?  If you have your LAN card on a 32bit PCI bus it's going
to max at a theoretical 133MB/sec but in practice if you get half that
you're doing well (66MB/sec == 528Mbps).

Ditto on the ipsec- run 'systat -vmstat 1' on both boxes while you run
the test - I suspect your PIIII box is totally swamped by the load of
encryption.

Also if you enable ipsec you lose the mpsafe network stack (at least on
5.3 release) so you take a performance hit there too.

John