Date:      Sun, 05 May 1996 15:43:58 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        jarekb@pap.waw.pl (Jaroslaw Bazydlo)
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dot.cshrc and weird umask value

Jaroslaw Bazydlo wrote in message ID
<199605051045.MAA16372@cergowa.waw.pl>:
> Can anyone tell me why on FreeBSD (the same with BSD/OS) there is the umask
> value 2 ???? This simply couses producing group writable files. Imagine the
> person which created .forward file, anyone in his group can modify this to
> reforward files or duplicate mails.

My view is that sendmail/mail.local (or whatever checks ~/.forward)
should check that the user is the only person who is able to write to
the file before accepting it as a valid .forward, the same as we do
for .rhosts.

Gary
--
Gary Palmer                                            FreeBSD Core Team Member
FreeBSD - Turning PC's into workstations. See http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/ for info.