Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 23:01:05 +0200
From:      Lars =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=F6ller?= <lkoeller@cc.fh-lippe.de>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        lkoeller@cc.fh-lippe.de (Lars =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=F6ller?=), freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Still freeze with 3.0-RELEASE, PLEASE give me any suggestions!!

Fcc: outbox

----------

 > Generally, a stack trace is more helpful than a register dump.  But, I
 > think I've got an idea of what your problem is.
 >
 > It looks like one of your tape drives is getting confused.  Try increasing
 > your bus settle delay from 8 seconds to 15 seconds.
 >
 > The messages you attached show two boots.  In the first one (probably after
 > poweron) there are a number of error messages.  The second one looks fine.
 >
 > What happened is that one of your tape drives responded on multiple LUNs in
 > the first boot, probably because it didn't have enough time to properly
 > initialize itself.  In any case, the inquiry information that came back
 > was bogus, and the device type number was 0.  So the da driver tried to
 > attach to the device in question.
 >
 > When the da driver tried to attach, the drive sent back a message saying
 > that the particular logical unit (in this case, 3) wasn't supported:
 >
 > Oct 22 12:23:54 odie /kernel: (da4:ahc0:0:6:3): READ CAPACITY. CDB: 25 60 0
     0 0 0 0 0 0 0
 > Oct 22 12:23:54 odie /kernel: (da4:ahc0:0:6:3): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:25,0
 > Oct 22 12:23:54 odie /kernel: (da4:ahc0:0:6:3): Logical unit not supported
 > Oct 22 12:23:54 odie /kernel: (da4:ahc0:0:6:3): fatal error, failed to attac
     h to device(da4:ahc0:0:6:3): removing device entry

 > The da driver then tried to de-register that peripheral instance.  The
 > problem is that there's a bug in the da driver w.r.t. invalidating
 > peripheral instances from the probe/attach code.  I've actually been
 > working on a fix for that bug since a co-worker discovered it on Tuesday.
 >
 > What happens is that when the da driver invalidates a peripheral instance
 > from dadone(), that peripheral instance doesn't get removed from the list
 > of da softc's.  That list of softc's is traversed every so often by the
 > dasendorderedtag() function, which is called from a timeout handler.
 > When the da peripheral in question is removed, its softc is freed.  Next
 > time the dasendorderedtag() is called, the kernel panics because it
 > dereferences a pointer to nowhere when traversing the linked list of
 > softc's.
 >
 > Anyway, try increasing SCSI_DELAY in your kernel from 8000 (8 seconds) to
 > 15000 (15 seconds) and see if that fixes the problem.  If that doesn't
 > work, you can try disabling multi-lun probing for your HP DAT drive.
 >
 > I'll probably check in my patches to fix the panic in the next couple of
 > days.  That isn't the root cause of your problem, though.  I think one of
 > the above two solutions should fix it.

Thanks Kenneth,

but I noticed the tape problem, too. It appered the first time with
3.0-RELEASE, one of the last 3.0CAM-SNAP's didn't show it!

A little bit suspicious is the fact, that after power on the last two
devices on the bus (CDRom, Seagate tape, external case), this doesen't
occur anymore! The total length of the cables are below 3m!

The termpower is o.k. (active termination with LED)!

However, all the freezes before are without any panic, just a total
freeze! I think this is another problem, I don't know how to
get an idea about!

Regards

Lars
--
E-Mail:                                     |  Lars Koeller
  Lars.Koeller@Uni-Bielefeld.DE              |  UNIX Sysadmin