Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2001 14:40:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Marc W <mwlist@lanfear.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: best x11 mua ?

> -----------------------------
> From:  Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
> To:  Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
> Cc:  questions@FreeBSD.ORG

> {snip}
>
> Ok, I've got a question about that one. It would seem that the
> prohibition about mailers automatically wrapping text should apply to
> quoted text as well, for much the same reason - you could potentially
> lose information in the process.
>
> Here, you seem to be implying that kiltdown ("it") should have done
> just
that. Is that really the case?

    There definitely is a problem with assuming the text is flowed, and
that is when the user has formatted the text using spaces and the like.

    by telling the formatter to just go and force a flowed-text style,
you definitely could cause some ugliness here, but would solve the 80%
case where text is just flowed ...  mailers like outlook express try to
get around this by just limiting text lines to 72 characters, so that
you can theoretically reply to a couple of messages without ugly
wrapping (assuming everybody uses oe).  unfortunately, not many other
mailers do this.

    there seems to be pretty inconsistent use of the Content-Type
keyword format='flowed', which would definitely help here some too.

    i think the answer is to just let the user decide -- give them a
checkbox they can flip between or something like that ...    blech.

    marc.

Marc W, San Francisco, CA
Kiltdown -- a free email client for X
www.kiltdown.org -- it's what's underneath that counts.