Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 1997 21:06:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Kory Hamzeh <kory@avatar.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: routed won't start (fwd)

On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, Kory Hamzeh wrote:

3:30

> I'm reposting this message because 1) I did not get any replies, and 2) I
> forgot to mention that every now and then, routed WILL start up OK. For
> example, the last two reboots I did, it worked find.

Sorry, but we're not *THAT* fast; we don't normally turn messages around
in three and a half hours!!  I've had a horrendous mail load otherwise I
would have gotten to this earlier.

> I'm running 2.2.2-RELEASE, and I've enabled routed in rc.conf, but it
> won't start. During startup, I see the following message:
>
> 	writing to route socket: invalid argument
> 	add net default: invalid argument
>
> However, after the system comes up, I can type "routed -q" and it starts
> up without a hitch. I have class C network with a 255.255.255.192 netmask.
>
> Is this a known problem? Did I do something wrong?

I wouldn't worry about it.  routed may be trying to stomp on some routes
that are added just following it.  If you don't need routed then disable
it in /etc/rc.conf and those messages will go away.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo