Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 97 14:46:56 PST
From:      Troy Curtiss <troyc@sandy.merix.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Two-way pipe possible without C/perl?

Hi,
  I am looking for a very quick and dirty way to have my FreeBSD
box page me when certain systems go down at work.  The easiest way
I can think of is to create a 2-way pipe between a chat command and
the cu command.  Something like:

chat " '' ATZ OK ATDT1800PAGER# CONNECT 'PIN12345' Sent ATH" <->
  cu -l /dev/cuaa0 -s 300

in a shell script or etc...  Is there a shell (sh, csh, tcsh, bash)
mechanism to wire process A's stdin to process B's stdout, and vice-
versa, or am I going to have to use perl/expect/C (more time-consuming)?
No big deal, but if anybody has a good idea, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,
Troy

--
| Troy Curtiss, HW/SW Engineer | Email: troyc@merix.com       |