Date:      Sun, 3 May 2020 18:35:09 +1000
From:      Dewayne Geraghty <dewayne@heuristicsystems.com.au>
To:        The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bind 9.16 port error still lingers

I think a few people have given the advise that you should look at the
placement of your pid file.  I don't know what the default is, but I have
 pid-file               "/var/run/named/pid";
in my named.conf file.  This ensures that I'm able to successfully run
named as the bind user and the pid file is going to be where I expected
it to be (it probably moved 20 years ago ;) ).

As I'm running named as user bind, then I need to write to /var/run as
bind.  I can't write to /var/run, because /var/run has root:wheel
ownership and 755 protection.   So you might need to:

1. mkdir /var/run/named
2. chown bind:bind /var/run/named
3. chmod 750 /var/run/named
4. stop named
5. rm /var/run/named.pid (if its still there)
6. start named

I note that you received almost immediate suggestions from those
concerned about the security of your systems, which is very comforting.  :)

Regards, Dewayne.
PS I appreciate your frustraction, I think that the removal of expired
ports is a little too enthusiastic