Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 16:44:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wondering about mail clients (specific features)

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Oscar Ricardo Silva wrote:

> Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 15:38:35 -0500
> From: Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
> To: questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Wondering about mail clients (specific features)
>
> It is not my intention to start any religious wars about mail clients.  I'm
> currently using Eudora (stop, drop, roll and duck incoming slings and
> arrows) on Windows.  One feature I like is that when mail is received and
> filtered into different mailboxes, you are told there is new mail in those
> mailboxes.  I subscribe to many different mailing lists and for the sake of
> my sanity I filter incoming mail from each list into its own mailbox.  I've
> tried using pine with procmail and mail is filtered properly but I don't
> know that there is new mail in mailboxes other than "In".
>
> Is there something I'm missing in pine that will do this?  Are there other
> mail clients that will notify you when new mail has been received and
> placed in a mailbox other than "IN" ?
>

> Oscar

There are a bazillion utilities for X and each window manager that do
email notification for different mailboxes, such as kbiff, xbiff, ... I
used to use the wmbiff dock app in WindowMaker a lot, great little app.

I'm a Pine user as well, dunno if/which other email clients provide this
functionality. Kmail or Sylpheed?

JB

#  John Bleichert
#  http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg