Date:      Sun, 3 Mar 2002 12:07:16 -0800
From:      Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   proposed rework of http://www.freebsd.org/publish.html

On 2001.12.17, Ceri <setantae@submonkey.net> suggested that I try
making some suggested changes to this area.  I'm only now getting
around to it, and don't guarantee any real results, but here is my
plan, in case anyone wants to scream loudly:

   *  The top-level page should be much shorter, giving only general
      information and links to other pages.  Each language would then
      have its own page(s), maintained by someone who keeps track of
      publications for the language in question.

      Within the language-specific page(s), the current organization
      (BOOKS, CDROMS, ...) could apply.  In fact, this leads to the
      possibility of a table of links on the top-level page, as:

                     BOOKS  CDROMS  MAGAZINES  NEWSLETTERS  PRESS

      Chinese        X
      English        X      X       X          X            X
      German         X      X
      Indonesian     X
      Japanese       X      X       X
      Korean         X      X       X

   *  I'd kill off all of the stuff that isn't in print any more.  If
      we want to have a "cover art gallery" somewhere else, fine, but
      THIS page should be an index to current publications.

   *  I'd make the thumbnails smaller; perhaps 2/3 of their current
      size.  That's still big enough for recognition, but it loads and
      scans a bit faster.  (I'd keep the full-size images, of course.)

   *  It would be useful to include links to publishers and FreeBSD-
      friendly resellers, to help folks _obtain_ these items.

So, howzat?

-r
--
email: rdm@cfcl.com; phone: +1 650-873-7841