Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 2009 08:58:46 -0400
From:      Mark Hartkemeyer <hartkemd@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   what is the best way to remove a program?

I was installing the mysql51-server port and I had a message that the
install could not proceed, because mysql50-client was already
installed.  I simply ran a "cd" and then a "make deinstall" in the
mysql50-client directory.  Is this is the best way to remove a
program?  Does it depend on how the program was added (compiled versus
prebuilt binary added with pkg_add -r)?  I've tried pkg_delete in the
past, but it seems to always complain about dependencies and not
actually remove the program.

Thanks,
Mark Hartkemeyer