Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2013 11:00:26 -0400
From:      George Neville-Neil <gnn@freebsd.org>
To:        Thomas Gellekum <Thomas.Gellekum@gmx.de>
Cc:        kron <kron24@gmail.com>, freebsd-eclipse@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading java/eclipse and java/eclipse-devel

On Jul 25, 2013, at 3:59 , Thomas Gellekum <Thomas.Gellekum@gmx.de> =
wrote:

> On 07/25/13 07:28, kron wrote:
>> On 2013/07/24 23:03, George Neville-Neil wrote:
>>> Howdy,
>>>=20
>>> Eclipse 4.2, which we have in java/eclipse-devel has been out for
>>> over a year and Eclipse 4.3 is "nearly done" as far as anyone can
>>> tell.
>=20
> It's been out for a few weeks now.
>=20
>>> I'd like to propose that we copy the devel port to the normal
>>> port, and then do two things. First I'd like to get Eclipse 4.2
>>> working with openjdk7.  RIght now the build fails but that was just =
>>> naive attempt to build the port with the new jdk.
>=20
> AFAIR, the problem lies with some of the 3rd party libraries (in
> ECLIPSE_*_BUNDLES) that were pre-built with a 1.4 or 1.5 JDK and miss
> necessary type info for some of the APIs that use generics. We could
> probably add ports for all those libraries and add appropriate OSGi
> headers to their manifests. This would also allow us to get rid of =
some
> of the patches to the manifest files which are a PITA to maintain. =
This
> could happen one library at a time, so it wouldn't have to be a
> disruptive process. IIRC, the problematic libraries are the sat4j
> bundles, so we'd start with those.
>=20
> Handling the versions requires some care, though, as different =
versions
> of Eclipse depend on different versions of those bundles.
>=20
> There might be an alternative: Kepler is supposed to be built with =
JDK7,
> so check for updates in those bundles. This sounds cheaper in the =
short
> term, but maintaing those patches is a major cost in the longer run.
>=20
>>> Secondly we can
>>> mark eclipse-devel broken until we can start getting 4.3 running in
>>> that port.
>=20
> Kepler (4.3) looks like it is going to be a major effort. I've only
> briefly checked the linuxtools.eclipse-build repo, but it seems =
they've
> abandoned the Ant based build and switched completely to Tycho, which =
is
> a Maven plugin. In theory, this should make things easier for us, too,
> but we don't have Tycho yet.
>=20
> Last time I looked at that, you needed a P2 repository from an Eclipse
> installation to build it, so bootstrapping is going to be an issue. I
> stopped digging further when I realized how much work it would be to
> provide a clean environment for building. Maven likes to load oodles =
of
> stuff from outside. Keeping that under control is not going to be much =
fun.

OK, well I am a newbie when it comes to building this stuff.  I am a new =
user of Eclipse
and I want ours to be top notch, hence my wanting to help with this.  =
Right now I'm
just trying to get the current 4.2 to build with 1.7 jdk.  The openjdk7 =
stuff seems OK
so at least that's working as a base to work on.

If you have notes on what you've done before, or anyone else has such =
notes,
that would be most welcome.

I guess we could coordinate through the FreeBSD Wiki if folks all have =
logins.
Does that make sense?

Best,
George