Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 1999 23:05:42 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stpcpy()

> I'll bet 95% of programmers working on systems where stpcpy has been
> part of the libraries for a long time don't even know that it isn't
> standard.

I don't doubt that.  Other than BDE and myself, I don't even know of
anyone that even has the ANSI-C standard.

> I don't know about you, but I code for systems where cutting CPU usage
> by 1% can actually make a real difference in the field and to costs.
> Perhaps this won't get me 1% - but a fraction of a percent here and
> another there adds up, and this is at truely zero cost.

So you don't program in C, you use ASM.  So you don't program in C++,
you use C.  Going "down" a step in each of these cases will save you much
more than 1%.

> 	While non-ANSI standard, this particular function has been
> virtually standard in PC compilers for a Long Time.  Like I said, near the
> start of this, probably for more than a decade it's been in every
> DOS/Win/Amiga/OS2/etc compiler I've used (unless my memory fails me, which
> it might).

It isn't in Micro$oft C version 6.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com)