Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 13:48:25 -0700
From:      Steve Sizemore <steve@cmpharm.ucsf.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Multiboot linux + freebsd on two drives

Simple version of my question: "How can I make my second disk,
containg FreeBSD, bootable?"

OK, so I just got three spiffy new systems with linux preinstalled.
The systems came with two identical SCSI drives. I'd like to leave
linux on the first drive and install FreeBSD on the second drive, and
be able to boot either. I can't figure out why this is so hard to do.

I installed 4.0 on the second drive, and updated to 4-stable. However,
during the install, my boot blocks got hosed, so that I couldn't boot
from either disk. (This is not the first time this has happened, so I
was extremely careful to follow the instructions in sysinstall.)

The only way that I can boot FreeBSD is to boot from the fixup floppy
and type "1:da(0,a)/kernel" to the boot2 prompt.

There seem to be two alternatives suggested for multibooting linux
and FreeBSD, in the available documentation.  First, install
BootEasy, which is what sysinstall did for me. However, in order to
boot linux, lilo has to be installed in the boot slice (partition)
rather than the mbr. Makes sense, but there's no mention of how to do
that. (Under linux, lilo simply installs the boot manager in mbr,
with no option to put it anywhere else.) Not that it matters, because
this option doesn't even boot FreeBSD on the second disk. Second
option is to use lilo to boot FreeBSD. So, I reinstalled lilo, and
now I can boot linux from the first disk, but FreeBSD on the second
disk doesn't boot.

It seems clear to me that the problem is either with boot1 or boot2 on
the second disk. (boot2 never runs, which could be because it's not
installed, or because there is a problem with boot1.) I've tried
using boot0cfg, fdisk, and disklabel to install all the boot blocks
that I can find, but to no avail.

What do I need to do to fix this?

Thanks.
Steve