Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 2000 05:06:37 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        James <j@evilcode.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cd /usr/ports; make clean

In message <20001118231633.A85206@evilcode.com>, James writes:
> On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 03:11:38PM +0800, Jing-Tang Keith Jang wrote:
> > On 11/18/00, James wrote:
> > > Or for a much faster solution:
> > > find /usr/ports -type d -name work -prune -print -exec rm -r {} \;
> >
> > why not just "cd /usr/ports; rm -fr */*/work"?
>
> If I understand it correctly, there is a limit to the maximum number
> of command line arguments that a program can have.

That all depends on the number of work directories you have.  If it's a
few than letting the shell search for work directories is not a
problem.  If it's many then a find command piped to xargs is the most
efficient answer.  I think that people might have an idea of how much
needs to be cleaned up, then choose the tool that works best.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC