Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 19:03:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-ISP <FreeBSD-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sendmail relaying

On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, jack wrote:

> Today Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> > I thank all you guys who showed me what to do!  Could I press one step
> > further, and ask how I get procmail wired in,
>
> <scarcasm>
> cd /usr/ports/mail/procmail
> make install clean
> man {procmail(1), procmailrc(5), procmailsc(5), procmailex(5)}
> </scarcasm>

I'll tell you something, Jack, sarcasm nearly always reflects on the
user, not on the target.  Think about it, it's true.

> > so that I can use
> > automated filtering based upon some net database like the realtime
> > blackhole list?
>
> You don't use procmail for that, that's sendmail's job.  See
> /usr/src/contrib/sendmail/cf/README
> Specifically
> rbl     Turns on rejection of hosts found in the Realtime Blackhole
>         List.  If an argument is provided it is used as the
>         name sever to contact; otherwise, the main RBL server at
>         rbl.maps.vix.com is used.  For details, see
>         http://maps.vix.com/rbl/.
> under FEATURES

But I wanted to filter incoming mail here, Jack, so I *did* want
procmail.

> > I use Pine as my MTA, and I don't want to change that,
> > but I'm not sure how to shoehorn procmail into that.
>
> Pine (a MUserA, not a MTransferAgent) has no interface with
> procmail,

I never said it did, I asked how to get procmail working.  Well, someone
else answered me.

 it just reads the mail that procmail has done its
> things to.  Sendmail can be configured to pass mail through
> procmail, rather than mail.local(8) for local delivery which is
> then read with pine or whatever.
>
> Look for procmail in the same README to have sendmail use it, or
> call it from a .forward file as detailed in the procmail(1) man
> page.

> Jack O'Neill                    Systems Administrator / Systems Analyst
> jack@germanium.xtalwind.net     Crystal Wind Communications, Inc.
>           Finger jack@germanium.xtalwind.net for my PGP key.
>    PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD
>                enriched, vcard, HTML messages > /dev/null

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic and jaunt, both FreeBSD-current.
(301) 220-2114              |