Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 1999 17:44:24 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading - one more time please

Thanks for all the replies to this one :-)

On Sun, Jun 27, 1999 at 07:16:26PM +1000, Sue Blake wrote:

> I've got a machine running 2.2.7-STABLE which I want to upgrade to
> the current -STABLE. I also want the full repository.
> I have a 3.1-RELEASE CD, so I can grab its repository, cvsup, and
> pull out the latest -STABLE sources.

OK, that's where I'm up to, got the full repository and need to replace
last year's sources with the newies. Now I've got a mental block or
hole or something, just spent the last two hours reading doccos and
writing down a list of possibly correct ways to checkout the sources
for 3.2-STABLE so that they replace the existing 2.2.7-STABLE sources.

If I try to represent what my mind is juggling, it's something like
cvs [-q] [co|update] [-P] [-d] [-r RELENG_3] [src|world]
where [] means maybe needed. As you see, the only part I'm sure of is
the "cvs" at the start :-) It used to be so simple, and I could write
an essay on what each bit does, but I'm buggered if I can work out
which bits I need to stick together to get the job done. How will the
CVS stuff that's already in the sources from the other branch affect
this? Should I just delete the whole lot and start again with a fresh
checkout? Is that necessary/safer, or would that just be cheating?
I guess I'd rather know what's the most correct way here.

Then from the responses I got to my other questions, it seems that I
can try 'make upgrade' before messing around and see how I go, and if
it doesn't work then do a binary upgrade install from the 3.1 CDs. At
the end I'll have either an updated system or a hilarious web page :-)

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-