Date:      Mon, 27 May 1996 20:57:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@stanford.edu>
To:        fqueries@jraynard.demo.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, andrsn@hoover.stanford.edu
Subject:   Re: PPP Server Question

On Mon, 27 May 1996, James Raynard wrote:

> It's probably worth mentioning that "options GATEWAY" won't be around
> for much longer - in fact it's already disappeared from -current. The
> approved method is to put
>
> gateway=YES
>
> in /etc/sysconfig. This shouldn't cause you any problems at the
> moment, though.
>
> > The ppp connection works fine, and I can ping the office machine
> > from home and vice versa.  I have an ip address to use for the home
> > machine (and another one if I need it).  What I can't do is ping
> > or reach any host beyond the office computer from the computer at
> > home.
>
> This usually means that everything's set up right, *except* for your
> home computer not having a default route set.

It does have a default route set--to the office machine:

Routing tables

Internet:
Destination      Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
default          36.33.0.163        UGSc        0      300      tun0
36.33.0.75       36.33.0.163        UGHS        1        0      tun0
36.33.0.163      36.33.0.75         UH          1        7      tun0
127.0.0.1        127.0.0.1          UH          0        0       lo0

If I try to change the default route to the default the office machine
uses (36.33.0.1), it says there's no route to that host.

> [Cue simplistic explanation - there are three possible decisions that
> BSD networking software can make when deciding where to send a
> packet:-
>
> "It's addressed to me - I'll keep it".
>
> "It's addressed to a computer that's directly connected to me - I'll
> send it straight to them."
>
> "Don't know how to reach them - I'll send it over my default route to
> someone else who might know".

I think it does this.  The problem is that the office machine then does
not send it further.

> If it doesn't have a default route, it throws it away. So you could
> ping your office machine, because it was directly connected by the PPP
> link, but your home computer didn't know what to do when you wanted to
> reach another host, as there wasn't a default route to send it over.]
>
> You can get PPP to do set a default route up for you when it makes the
> connection. If you're using user-mode ppp, your home computer's
> ppp.linkup file should look like this:-
>
> MYADDR:
>   add 0 0 HISADDR

It does, but since the ppp.conf file won't dial the modem and I have
to use terminal mode, the ppp.linkup file doesn't seem to get read, so
I've been putting the default route in by hand, or actually with a script.

> For kernel-mode pppd, add a line saying
>
> defaultroute
>
> to your home computer's "options" file.
>
> > It seemed from the handbook that running gated would be the right
> > thing to do, so I installed it and changed sysconfig accordingly,
> > turning off routed.
>
> No offence intended, but gated always makes me think of an eminent
> Victorian politician's opinion on the Dreyfuss affair:-
>
> "Only three people have ever really understood this case. One is now
> dead. Another is now insane. The third is myself."
>
> <Pause for laughter>
>
> "Unfortunately, I appear to have forgotten most of the details!"
>
> Sorry about that. Anyway, my advice is not to bother with any kind of
> routing daemons, unless you're doing something like setting up a
> dedicated router for an ISP.
>
> If your office computer can talk to the outside world, and has IP
> forwarding enabled, setting a default route on your home computer
> *should* be all that's needed.

Well, it doesn't seem to be working.  There must be a piece missing.
Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Annelise