Date:      Thu, 03 Dec 1998 18:34:17 -0800
From:      Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: crashdump, dangerously dedicated, hosed system

Greg Lehey wrote:
> There's nothing obvious you did wrong, though there's a possibility
> that something may have gone wrong if your swap partition was exactly
> the size of your memory (offhand I can't remember, but it needs a
> little bit more to at least note the fact that there's a dump in the
> partition).  Also, of course, if you had laid out your drive with
> overlapping partitions, all bets would be off.  Finally, depending on
> how your system crashed, that could have caused the corruption.  I
> don't suppose you'll be able to find out now.  It's very rare to have
> this kind of problem; I've been running BSD on multiple machines for
> nearly 7 years, and it's never happened to me.

It appears to have been my fault.  I can't say for sure, since I lost the
disklabel, but it appears that my swap partition was too small.  When I
rebuilt the disk, I was careful to make it large enough, and had no
problems capturing the crashdump thereafter.  I didn't think about this
being the potential problem because at the time I wasn't aware that the
crashdump is dumped starting at the end of the swap partition and working
down.  (Lucky I did a backup just before forcing the crash. =) )

As for the cause of the crash, it's a bit embarrassing to admit.  I was
running out of mbuf clusters, even though I had maxusers set to 100 (2112
mbufs).  It turns out my test code was sending two orders of magnitude more
data than I had remembered, and in a manner that was pathologically bad as
far as mbuf usage is concerned.

Thanks for the email,
Jason

--