Date:      Fri, 02 Feb 2001 13:26:43 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
Cc:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.2R pcm/sbc AWE records noise, not audio: 16 bit bug?; gus broken?

Christopher,

I'm sorry if you feel unfairly taken to task by folks like Ted and
myself.  It's natural to feel protective of someone's work in the
project and react adversely to what seems a condemnation of it, but I
also respect the fact that there was a legitimate message in what you
were trying to say as well.  Things that are broken from release to
release irritate people profoundly and we've all been on both sides of
that equation often enough to remember what it feels like.

That said, what clearly needs to happen at this point is for someone
who is experiencing such breakage to work with Cameron in resolving
the matter.  I appreciate that you're busy and that sound is a
low-priority issue for you, but I'm sure you also appreciate the fact
that things like this often only get fixed as "acts of charity."
Somebody who could clearly be doing other more important things
nonetheless takes the time to instrument the failing code a bit and
correspond with the author in an attempt to give them some more
information about what's going wrong.  Perhaps this person also helps
in testing the author's proposed patches to the problem and serving as
his remote eyes and fingers during the problem diagnosis.  I've seen
few problems withstand that degree of commitment by author and
vict^H^H^H^Htester and I'm sure the audio recording problems are no
different, somebody simply needs to be willing to step up to the plate
and invest the extra work required as an act of charity if for no
other reason.

- Jordan