Date:      Fri, 2 Oct 1998 09:06:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        jooji@webnology.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewall with 2 NIC and a NET class C

>Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 08:56:43 -0500 (CDT)
>From: "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@webnology.com>

>> _Building Internet Firewalls_, Ch. 4, p. 90
>> D. Brent Chapman & Elizabeth D. Zwicky

>That's fine and well, but how old is that book? RFC 1597 was
>obsoleted by RFC 1918 in February, 1996. What rationale do the
>authors employ for suggesting that registered IP addresses behind the
>firewall will be "setting yourself up for later problem[s]?"

My copy isn't at hand, but I believe that one such potential problem is
a side-effect of corporate mergers and acquisitions -- Yet Another
annoying thing to consider (along with the myriads of other issues) is
overlap among RFC 1918 address ranges....

Ensuring that all networks are registered avoids that particular issue.

Also, I've heard that there's a new edition in the works....

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621