Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 16:51:51 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        Andrew Johns <johnsa@kpi.com.au>
Cc:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Limiting closed port RST response from 381 to 200 p

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002 00:20:01 +1000, Andrew Johns wrote:

> Actually Sheldon I think that's a great idea - helps with
> syslog DoS somewhat as well.  Anybody else care to contemplate
> making it either a default or sysctl (ICMP_BANDLIMIT_DOSLIMIT?)

In CURRENT, logging is conditional on a sysctl value; the message
format is unchanged from that of STABLE, but logging can be turned off
completely if desired.  This seems to keep most people happy.

I don't think my preference (always seeing the messages, but having
syslog coalesce them) is representative of the majority of folks to whom
this matters.

Ciao,
Sheldon.