Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 2006 16:23:53 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Mac Newbold <mac@macnewbold.com>
To:        Mikhail Goriachev <mikhailg@webanoide.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ripping "enhanced" audio CDs

Today at 2:55pm, Mikhail Goriachev said:

>> Jun 14 11:27:21 mybox kernel: acd0: FAILURE - READ_CD HARDWARE ERROR
>> asc=0x08 ascq=0x01 error=0
>> Jun 14 11:27:21 mybox kernel: acd0: FAILURE - READ_CD ILLEGAL REQUEST
>> asc=0x64 ascq=0x00 error=0
>> Jun 14 11:27:22 mybox last message repeated 11 times

> This is an anti-piracy feature included on some discs. Nowadays there
> are more and more protected discs around. Some of them even crash
> computers when loading. How silly is that? Programs like CloneCD can
> handle such things on Windows boxes. That is what I use after having
> long frustrated sessions with open-source tools.

I am pretty sure this isn't an anti-piracy feature. It happens to me with
_any_ "enhanced CD" (audio+data mixed CD), and _only_ on enhanced CDs.
Never has it happened to me on any non-enhanced audio CD. My problem is
not with the inability to get the data off, that doesn't seem to be a
real issue. The problem is with the crashing of the computer.

Why should _any_ data read from a removable disk of any kind be causing
FreeBSD to crash by the mere act of attempting to read it from the disk?
The device is reporting a failure, but why isn't the OS handling that
failure gracefully?

If I'm asking the wrong list, and should be asking hackers@freebsd.org or
some list related to multimedia, please let me know.

Thanks,
Mac

mac@macnewbold.com	http://www.macnewbold.com/