Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 22:07:40 -0700
From:      Justin C.Walker <justin@mac.com>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: natd, 2 NIC's, 2 Hubs, Something I'm missing?

On Saturday, May 26, 2001, at 07:59 PM, Brandt wrote:

> Well, I assumed the natd would be noticed in the subject line, and also
> it is listed under the "rc.conf" section I listed below.

I did indeed notice that you mentioned Natd, but without the
config, it's hard to tell whether you are actually using it.  It's
also hard to diagnose a problem without all the info.  I'm no
expert in firewalls either, but your rules look a bit odd to me.
They seem to work on my box, though, so I suppose they're OK.

Another thing you haven't mentioned is whether you've enabled
forwarding:
    sysctl -w net.inet.ip.fowarding=1
(at least, that's the syntax on my 3.2-based Darwin system).

Regards,

Justin

> As for the dc0, I forgot I had tried a 255.255.0.0 subnet, and played
> with the broadcast just for giggles.  Normally they are 255.255.0.0
> and 192.168.1.255 respectively.
>
> And no its not the firewall rules, I don't think, but I'm no expert.
> ## ipfw #########
> 00050 divert 8668 ip from any to any via vr0
> 00100 allow ip from any to any via lo0
> 00200 deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8
> 00300 deny ip from 127.0.0.0/8 to any
> 65000 allow ip from any to any
> 65535 deny ip from any to any

---
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large  *
Institute for General Semantics        |
Director of Technology                 | It's not whether you win
or lose...
Nexsi Systems Corp.                    |  It's whether *I* win or lose.
1959 Concourse Drive                   |
San Jose, CA  95131                    |