Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 14:27:40 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Jack Rusher <jar@integratus.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: configuration files, XML?

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Jack Rusher wrote:

> Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
> >
> > around the bush.  What specifically are you proposing?  What would
>
>   This is a mass reply.  I will now address the following:
>
>   o What's the problem?
>
>     Unix file formats have traditionally been created in an ad hoc
> fashion in whatever format the author of that subsystem felt like.  This
> leads to a seemingly random collection of position dependent, tagged,
> and line oriented file formats.

>   o What do you want to do about it?
>
>     What I would like to see is a set of constraint files that describe
> the syntax of configuration files on the system, a consistent "style"
> for these file formats, and an API to access a library that knows how to
> deal with the underlying files.  I would suggest that the library
> support loadable file format modules and that a hacked up constraint
> language that's able to express current file formats is the first module
> we write.  After we have that much done, some enterprising soul could go
> around and retrofit this configuration file library into existing
> applications and subsystems.

There's a reasonable 'half-way house': use XML to define config file
formats and validators (the current crop of tools available is good for
this) - use XSLT to process these into the formats that external
applications require.

Barring the usual problems of keeping source and output in sync, this
gives you a (standard) semi-declarative way of describing the
relationship between XML and .conf file.

You can also process and validate at the same time: see schematron
(don't have a URL to hand at the moment) for example.