Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2007 15:48:09 -0600
From:      John E Hein <jhein@timing.com>
To:        "Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET" <ml@t-b-o-h.net>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Signal 12 on simple ldd / Linux

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote at 16:59 -0400 on Sep 27, 2007:

 > > Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote at 16:34 -0400 on Sep 27, 2007:
 > >  > 	Right, thats what I'm saying, sort of. I haven't tried to pull the
 > >  > /compat off NFS, and put it locally on a machine thats failed yet.
 > >  >
 > >  > 	Would anyone know the best way to copy that whole structure? I'm
 > >  > concerned with pipes and devs and the likes that cpio might not work
 > >  > right.
 > >
 > > cp -pR?
 > >
 > 	I said cpio, but meant cp... I tried it, but it resolved links
 > that ldconfig didn't like.

The -R should handle sym links correctly (copy the link itself instead
of following it), but will break hard links into multiple separate
files.

 > I eventually piped a find to cpio and it copied...

ok

 > I did the /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig and it returned fine,

I usually do '/compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig -r /compat/linux'.

 > but try to run the program results in my still getting the same error.
 > I don't know if its because something in cache somewhere or what now...
 > Maybe I should do a proper install of linux_base-fc-4 incase, or
 > would a reboot first be suggested, or ????

This seems to confirm (?) that it's not nfs'd /compat/linux.  Move
away the current linux_base, try a proper install of linux_base, see
if there are any differences.  Try a kldunload / kldload of linux &/or
linprocfs (if loaded).  Try a linux.ko from a working system.  If you
try the reboot and it fixes things, you don't learn a lot.