Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:14:55 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
To:        Jim Brown <jpb@sixshooter.v6.thrupoint.net>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: updated software

--==_Exmh_33854310P

If memory serves me right, Jim Brown wrote:

> > I've just finished reading FreeBSD/i386 4.8-RELEASE release notes.
> > (http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.8R/relnotes-i386.html)
> >
> > I've missed the versions of contributed software,from which that
> > software was upgraded, like
> >
> >     "BIND has been updated to version 8.3.4.".
> >
> > By looking at it I wonder from WHICH version it was upgraded.
> > I mean, that's only for convenience, for easier comparisons and
> > further expertise of the efficiency of the expected system upgrade.
> >
> > I am also able to find out the versions of the software manually,
> > but it would be much easier to make decisions just by looking at
> > the two points of specific software developement while having most
> > common bugs/features in mind:)

[snip]

> You may be interested in browsing through the CVS repository for BIND
> and other packages.  You can learn what version of a port was added originall
> y,
> when updates were made, what patches have been applied and a wealth
> (OK, maybe just a little) of information about the port.

No, I think he's talking about contributed software that's in the base
system.  The release notes *could* give the old versions of updated
software, but they don't because I was lazy (in particular, doing this
for 5.0-RELEASE would have been a monumental pain).

I'll try to keep this in mind when writing future items.  In the
meanwhile I'll gladly take patches for fixing up the existing (HEAD and
RELENG_4) release notes.  Everything's in the CVS repo, and it's just a
matter of digging the old revisions out of CVSWeb or your local copy of
the repository.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_33854310P

--==_Exmh_33854310P--