Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 1996 11:37:54 -0500
From:      Charlie Root <root@nexus.xanadu2.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing a hard drive...

I am running FreeBSD 2.1 and am having difficulty installing a new hard drive.  I have installed a new 2.2 gigcsi-2 hard drive and am trying to prepare it for use (a procedure I have not gone through very often).  I have fdisk'ed the drive several times and am fairly convinced that it worked, but when I try to do newfs on the drive it returns the errors "not a character-special device" and "`1' partition is not available".  Now as far as I know this does not need to be a character device anyway, it should be a block device.  Right?  Anyway, I need some one to go through the steps for setting this up including any command line parameters for the associated utilities.  Also I am setting this up for a small newsfeed, and would like to set smaller inodes.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Matthew ZS
matt@xanadu2.net