Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 09:37:59 -0600 (CST)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@RWSystems.net>
To:        =?iso-8859-2?Q?Robert_'Shadow'_Paj=B1k?= <shadow@kki.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange behaviour ...

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, [iso-8859-2] Robert 'Shadow' Paj±k wrote:
> Maybe some noticed similiar behaviour ... We're running FBSD 3.0-RELEASE at
> our free server (over 80 thousands of ppl from Poland has e-mail and www
> pages on it).
> Few days ago we started to notice some strange behaviour - system was saing:
>
> Date, timestamp www /kernel: swap_pager: suggest more swap space: 254 MB
>
> But swap space is about 750 of MB! What is more interesting, that all this
> actions
> are being made at night! (3 a.m local time). What's more interesting that
> swap is on new SCSI drive - when badsectors should not exist, and even if
> they would be there they should be skipped by SCSI hardware.

I have had the 'daily' entry in /etc/crontab do something like this when I
had zillions of files on a couple of largeish RAID filesystems. I had
missed putting the directories in the /etc/locate.rc PRUNEPATHS line and
it ran *way* out of sort room at about 03:00 or so. (Thanks again kward!)

Have you checked /var/log/messages or dmesg for exceptions? The swapinfo
command tells the normal swap setup at runtime.

btw: If you want to find any commands related to 'something', just do an
'apropos [something]', like 'apropos swap'. It helps quite a bit if you
are an infrequent sysadmin or cover several flavors of Unix.

I would also recommend upgrading to 3.1-RELEASE as soon as possible. I do
not know it's the problem, but 3.0-* had some issues. 3.0-* didn't go on
anything but test/thrash machines here, though it worked fine there. We
consider anything ending in '.0' as ready for final test. 8{)