Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:47:14 +0100
From:      Jason Thomson <jason.thomson@mintel.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4-STABLE and 3Ware 9000 series controllers

Albert Chin wrote:

> I went through the software download procedure on their web site and
> was able to download 9.0.2-Upgrade.zip. So is it a bad idea to use an
> older driver with the firmware from this package?

We couldn't complete the install without upgrading the firmware.  We
ended up booting the half completed install - and then loading the
driver from the 9.0.2-Upgrade.zip archive from a floppy at the boot
prompt.  (This updated the card firmware).

Then we rebooted and re-installed from CD with the older 4.10-STABLE
drivers.  Everything worked perfectly.

It would have been neater to load the driver as the CD was booting and
then do the install in one go.