Date:      Mon, 04 Feb 2002 20:29:36 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1013307887.7e8665@mired.org>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>, Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1013294120.4f4266@mired.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VCD file system?

Mike Meyer wrote:
> Here's what happens when I try and mount one on a SCSI cdrom drive:
>
>         bash-2.05a$ mount /cdrom
>         cd9660: /dev/cd0c: Invalid argument
>
> This one worked on Windows. At least, I managed to get it to play the
> video.

Do you read German?

Here is a Linux version:

	http://home.t-online.de/home/ritzert/videocd.html

The VideoCD format was never really publically documented
back when it was popular, and there were some programs that
reverse engineered it that Phillips went after (MPegTV?);
I remember that the last set of Commodore hardware had a
license for it, and it was held as a closely guarded secret
at that time.

It's actually pretty trivial; you need to be able to read
the full sector, instead of just the smaller "formatted"
data portion of it; this is already supported in an CDROM
hardware that can read raw audio off a CDROM, which is
pretty much any CDROM drive since the first one that could
do it in the SGI Indy, and the first one you could legally
buy in the U.S. seperate from a system (the Toshiba 3401B;
I have one, of course).

Probably, you are talking about a very old Video CD (CD-i),
which is Green Book standard.  Panasonix and Matsushita
CD drives can't read these, so it might just be a difference
in hardware.

If you are talking about a newer one, then it's a White Book
standard, or, the newer Video CD 2.0.  To get a copy of this,
you have to be a licensee from Phillips of one of:

	o	CD Information Agreement
	o	Software Dev Package
	o	CD Disc/Player
	o	VideoCD Disc/Player