Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 08:51:05 -0700
From:      Donald Acton <acton@opentext.com>
To:        "Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke" <marcus@jaguar.ir.miami.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD User Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: wdc1 not found: follow up

As I posted in a previous message of my own, I was experiencing similar
problems with the default kernel shipped with 3.0 not being able to locate the
secondary IDE controller (wdc1) even though the kernel messages appeared to
indicate it was being looked for. Using the GENERIC kernel config file I
constructed a new config file tailored to my machine and environment. I
deleted most of the lines for devices I didn't have and I left the lines
relating to the wdc1 controller and associated drives untouched. Of particular
interest, I deleted all the Ethernet devices I didn't have installed and left
the following line in the file

device ed0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 iomem 0xcc000 vector edintr

Note that in the above configuration line I changed the port and iomem values.
The kernel build went smoothly. Upon rebooting with this new kernel, wdc1 and
the attached disk was found, but now the Ethernet controller wasn't found at
location 0x300. After some mumbling under the breath I built a new kernel with
the above ed0 line changed back to

device ed0 at isa? port 0x280 net irq 10 iomem 0xd8000 vector edintr

(The above line was taken exactly from the GENERIC config file)

This time when I rebooted I performed a manual configuration for ed0 and
changed the port from 0x280 to 0x300 and changed iomem to 0xcc000. This time
both ed0 and wdc1 were found. I had success! I have no idea why the second
approach worked and the first didn't, as the first technique has worked fine
in the past.

Donald Acton
acton@opentext.com