Date:      Sun, 12 May 2002 09:24:28 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
To:        Mike DeGraw-Bertsch <mbertsch@radioactivedata.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interested in mirroring

On Sat, 11 May 2002, Mike DeGraw-Bertsch wrote:

> Howdy folks,
>
> I run an infrequently-used webserver with a dedicated T1 connection, and
> it kills me to see the bandwidth go to waste.
>
> The box is located in Cambridge, MA, and is available over both IPv4 and
> IPv6 (though the IPv6 tunnel comes from Canada, it's still pretty low
> latency) at 199.232.41.27 and 3ffe:b80:2:784f::2.
>
> I'd be happy to mirror FTP, WWW, or cvsup, over IPv4 and/or IPv6.  Any
> interest or need?

hi mike,

a mirror is most valuble where there is local demand in the region and
no existing mirror there.  please keep in mind that mirroring freebsd does
require you to commit some more resources than just a T1 - you also need
to have some disk and time available to set it up and monitor it.

a complete freebsd mirror is probably > 60G now.

that said, it's always useful to have another mirror, especially around
release times when demand usually outstrips supply.

i would recommend you look at only mirroring:

o the latest release trees (isos and binaries/source)
o the latest source tree
o the latest package tree

regards,

-jason