Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 06:47:49 +0100 (CET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        Alex Rousskov <rousskov@measurement-factory.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quick question about IP aliasing

Alex,

> 	Can you be more specific please? Is it just a harmless warning
> message or a true error? In other words, will anything break if I use
> a.b.c.2/24 alias on the interface with the a.b.c.1/24 primary address?

technically i think it is a real error to use a /24 alias, but i
am not 100% sure about the amt of problems it causes.

> Unfortunately, I cannot simply ignore the discussion. For benchmarking
> purposes, we routinely use thousands of IP aliases that belong to the
> same subnet on one interface without any known problems. I want to
> know if we are doing something wrong.
>
> 	I do not care about the ifconfig warning by itself. We do not
> even use ifconfig to manage aliases. I care about the actual run-time
> code that handles the addresses. Could you please clarify whether

if you do care about this, you may want to restructure the data structure
used to store/match interface addresses. At the moment it is a linear list,
so the matching of incoming packets is probably Very Time Comsuming!

	cheers
	luigi