Date:      14 Oct 2001 11:34:03 -0700
From:      "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/31264: cvsup(1) "base" option and keyword descriptions are confusing.

>Number:         31264
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       cvsup(1) "base" option and keyword descriptions are confusing.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical

cvsup(1) discussion of "-b" option and "base" keyword are not as clear
as they could be, to say the least.  (The "cvsup" command has made
things unnecessarily complicated, but it's too late to fix that.)
================
>How-To-Repeat:
n/a
================
>Fix:

Some rewording of the "-b" option and "base" keyword descriptions,
plus a word change for consistency.   I have the keyword referencing
the option to reduce the text users must read and to make maintenance
easier and less error-prone.

patch -d "unknown uncompressed man/man1 dir" < this-PR

*** /tmp/old-cvsup.1	Wed Aug  8 11:42:23 2001
--- /tmp/cvsup.1	Wed Aug  8 17:20:16 2001
***************
*** 131,141 ****
  connecting to the server.  This may be useful on hosts which have
  multiple IP addresses.
  .It Fl b Ar base
! Specifies the base directory under which
  .Nm
! will maintain its bookkeeping files, overriding any
! .Cm base
! specifications in the
  .Ar supfile .
  .It Fl c Ar collDir
  Specifies the subdirectory of
--- 131,153 ----
  connecting to the server.  This may be useful on hosts which have
  multiple IP addresses.
  .It Fl b Ar base
! Specifies the directory under which
  .Nm
! will place
! .Ar collDir
! and will use as the default
! .Ar prefix
! directory.  The
! .Ar base
! directory must pre-exist;
! .Nm
! will not create it.  The default
! .Ar base
! directory is
! .Pa /usr/local/etc/cvsup .
! This option has precedence over use of the
! .Ar base
! keyword in the
  .Ar supfile .
  .It Fl c Ar collDir
  Specifies the subdirectory of
***************
*** 440,458 ****
  by convention.  Non-CVS collections conventionally use
  .Cm release=current .
  .It Cm base= Ns Ar base
! This specifies a directory under which
! .Nm cvsup
! will maintain its bookkeeping files, describing the state of each
! collection on the client machine.
! The
! .Ar base
! directory must already exist;
! .Nm
! will not create it.
! The default
! .Ar base
! directory is
! .Pa /usr/local/etc/cvsup .
  .It Cm prefix= Ns Ar prefix
  This is the directory under which updated files will be placed.
  By default, it is the same as
--- 452,460 ----
  by convention.  Non-CVS collections conventionally use
  .Cm release=current .
  .It Cm base= Ns Ar base
! This has the same effect as the
! .Fl b
! option except that the option has precedence over this keyword.
  .It Cm prefix= Ns Ar prefix
  This is the directory under which updated files will be placed.
  By default, it is the same as
***************
*** 461,467 ****
  .Ar base .