Date:      20 Nov 2001 12:14:16 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Marcus Reid <marcus@blazingdot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bug reporting integrated into the ports tree

> http://lwn.net/2001/1115/letters.php3 got me thinking.. Wouldn't
> a little bug-reporting facility integrated into the ports tree
> be extremely useful?

Well, of course we have send-pr(1) (those with appropriately configured
mail systems) and http://www.freebsd.org/support.html#gnats
which do most of that, if more awkwardly.

A cross-platform system is needed for the many things not maintained
by FreeBSD people.

Bug report systems which require an e-mail address will loose some bug
reports from rabid spam haters and privacy extremists, but maybe it's
worth it -- who can say?

I've been wondering if a Wiki-type system wouldn't be valueable as a
semi-official FreeBSD system as on option for the easist possible
reporting of bugs and also for adding documentation.  Unfortunately, it
would require some volunteers to process the information into real PRs
and documents and to restore vandalized Wiki pages (which doesn't seem
to be a big problem on Wikis, but I'm no Wike expert).