Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 1999 17:15:12 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Jeffrey D. LaCoursiere" <lacoursj@jeff.net>
To:        Robert Hough <rch@iserve.net>
Cc:        sales@fastlane.net, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Accounting Software

Hi Robert,

Does Optigold interface with Radius accounting records to do usage based
billing?  FLAMS has Radius actually built into the product (a custom
modified version of Merit radius), so your tech support has access to
real-time radius records.  My tech support often pull up a customer's call
information, through the web interface, while they are on the phone
debugging the problem!  The backend database for FLAMS is SQL and ODBC
compliant, allowing you to choose from any number of ODBC enabled
reporting engines to create your own custom reports and data views.
FLAMS also has a tech support ticketing system built-in, employee time
tracking, customer referral credits, completely integrated Credit Card
support (all charges and refunds happen automatically behind the scenes).
Many, many automated customer interaction tasks include mailing customers
when their credit cards are about to expire, mailing them when they
venture beyond defined usage restrictions (bandwidth or accumulated call
time), mailing them when their accounts become overdue, mailing them when
their credit card is declined, reminders that their services are up for
renewal, and a welcome message when they sign up!

FLAMS is *completely* integrated with your server software, such that
accounts that are suspended for whatever reason (either manually through
the web interface or automated during closeofday processing, where an
account may be suspended for exceeding usage restrictions, exceeding the
grace period for overdue balance, or expired) cause defined events to
occur on your servers.  An example of this working at FastLane:

1) Customer signs up a dialup account with a credit card
2) Tech support enters account information (or customer does so online)
3) FLAMS hook is called that causes the mail server to create an IMAP
   directory and sends a welcome email message, the web server creates
   a web space directory and copies in a default web page, the radius
   server creates an attribute entry for the customer with any custom
   attributes required by the service subscribed
4) Nightly processing creates the credit card batch which is sent and
   the results parsed.  The customer's card is approved, and he is sent
   a statement showing the charge and the payment applied from his card.
5) Customer uses the account continuously for a week, accumulating over
   150 hours, which is defined at FastLane as a soft limit.  The customer
   is sent a warning message.
6) Customer ignores warning message and hits the hard limit of 200 hours
   a few days later, which causes his account to be suspended in
   closeofday processing.
7) The suspension calls a hook which causes the mail server to tar up and
   archive his mail files and IMAP folders, the web server tars up and
   archives his web files, and his Radius attribute information is
   removed.  He is still connected, so his terminal server is contacted
   and he is booted (Ascend equipment only at this time).
8) He calls the next day and arranges to pay extra for more time, and his
   account is unsuspended.
9) Again a hook is called that causes his archived mail and web files to
10) Customer's anniversary day comes and his account is charged for the
   next month.  Closeofday credit card batch attempts to charge his card
   but fails.  He is sent a message that his card was declined.
11) He ignores the declined messages and eventually his account is
   overdue.  He begins receiving overdue messages every other night
   (configurable).
12) He ignores the overdue messages and reaches the overdue threshold,
   which causes his account to be suspended as above...
13) He calls the next day and makes arrangements to pay by cash by the
   next week.  A "grace date" is entered on his account through the web
   interface that keeps closeofday processing from suspending his still
   overdue account.
14) A few days before the gracedate is reached the customer begins
   receiving reminders that a gracedate had been arranged, and that it
   was almost upon him.
15) Customer ignores grace date and closeofday processing suspends his
   account again.
16) Customer goes away, and fifteen days later the account is
   automatically closed.  At FastLane, the amount owed is reviewed by
   closeofday processing to see if it warrants collection work, and if
   so the account state is changed to "collections".  A report of the
   accounts in collection state is emailed to our contracted collections
   company for processing.  If the customer ever pays, the account is
   changed to "closed" state...

Sorry for the length - wanted to showcase some of the features.  Note that
a human was barely involved in this entire story - mainly just to answer
the phone when the customer called and make arrangements for payment.  No
sticky notes taped to monitors to make sure he meets those arrangements.
No need for collection employees or pouring over monstrous A/R reports.
One feature I didn't show was the ability of a payment to automatically
open a suspended-for-overdue account, which can be customer driven.  The
customers have access to their statements and can enter credit card
information to pay their overdue bill... no human involvement (assuming
they have net access in some other manner, of course ;) .

The system runs on FreeBSD 2.2.8 or above, and our Solaris port is
*almost* finished.  We will have a Linux port soon as well.  The backend
database is MySQL, with ODBC support (works great with Crystal Reports!).

Best of all, we give you 90% of the source code (written in standard C).
We only hang onto the code for the C API functions and our in-house
developed form engine (drives the web interface).  All of the automated
email messages are template driven which you can edit.  All of the web
screens are template driven so you can monkey with the look and feel.
Tools allow you to customize the account information tables to collect and
act on whatever additional information you like.

We are almost ready to market this product in a major way, and you will
hear more about it soon.  It has been running six ISP's for close to a
year, from 500 customers to over 20,000.  The 20K+ ISP is running the
system on a Pentium II 300 with 128MB RAM and an NFS mounted 30GB array
from a Network Appliance box.  FastLane itself has run the product in
house since November of 1997, and I can honestly say that we would not be
here today without it.  You have no idea how much billing problems cost
your company until you solve them ;)

I have only skimmed the surface of what this product can do.  Give me a
call for a walk through of our demo site (www.flams.com)!

Thanks,

Jeff LaCoursiere
President