Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 2002 10:17:49 -0400
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <bmcgover@cisco.com>
To:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Brian J. McGovern" <bmcgover@cisco.com>, Bo Xiao <boxiao@cisco.com>, freebsd-users@cisco.com, qa@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.6 release and snapshots

 > (Even when I worked at Cisco, I never knew which of the internal mailing
 > lists could be posted to from outside, so Brian or Bo might need to
 > forward this.  "Hi" to everyone who remembers me.)

Depends on the configuration in the mailer ;)

 > I haven't grabbed the 4.6 mini-ISO yet, but I will soon.  Four-fifths of
 > the release engineering team (murray, rwatson, jhb, bmah) was at the
 > FreeBSD Developer Summit at USENIX, which finished today.

Yeah, I'm bummed I missed out, but with "Cisco Frugality", I'm only making the
ones in Boston these days, as I can drive from work daily.

 > I know that murray had (is having) some problems getting the ISO images
 > to ftp-master intact.  The details make for a long, rambling saga that I
 > won't bore people with...they involve a lack of bandwidth and CDRs that
 > won't burn correctly.  :-(  I don't know if these problems could have
 > affected the mini-ISO...my impression was "not".

Well, I'll be happy to open my resources up to Murray if I have anything that
can help him out.

 > Bruce.
 >
 > PS.  What symptoms of failure did you see with the mini-ISO?

The individual file kits tend to fail on what appears to be the second in the
series, so bin.aa, for instance, seems to extract, but it fails with an error
when trying to read in bin.ab. I don't remember the exact message, but its
something like "Only able to read -1 bytes". If I get a chance today, I'll
recreate it, and post the real error message.

	-Brian